eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptocurrencies, as well as trading CFD assets.
CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 75% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Powell could make or break markets today
How will Wall Street react? Fed Chair Jerome Powell is scheduled to deliver a speech at the Jackson Hole Symposium, today at 14:00 GMT. Powell is likely to provide some information regarding future rate cuts this year, and therefore, could impact US markets. Yesterday, President Trump applied more pressure on Powell, saying on Twitter: “The Economy is doing really well. The Federal Reserve can easily make it Record Setting”.
2935.3 15.36 (0.53%)
Today’s highlights: Bitcoin shows slight gains
- Cryptos show recovery: The cryptocurrency market was seen higher over the past 24 hours, as all top 10 cryptos were in the green at the time of writing. Bitcoin was up more than 1.5%, holding above the $10,100 mark.
- Wall Street closes mostly lower: While the DJ30 registered slight gains yesterday, both the SPX500 and NSDQ100 closed lower yesterday, as investors await Fed Chair Powell’s speech today.
- Asian markets mostly higher: Markets in the East registered gains this morning, as the China50 index was up more than 1% at the time of writing and the HKG50 and JPN225 indices also registered gains.
- G-7 Summit this weekend: Leaders of 7 of the world’s most powerful economies will meet in France over the weekend the G-7 Summit. Prime Minister Boris Johnson will attend the summit for the first time as the leader of the UK and is expected to meet with several high-profile attendees, including President Trump.
- Volatility expected for CAD: The monthly Core Retail Sales report is due in Canada at 12:30 GMT, potentially generating volatility for the Canadian Dollar.
- Retail stocks continue to perform: Shares of luxury retail giant Nordstrom yesterday soared more than 15%, following an earnings report that beat market expectations. Target also continued to rise, climbing an additional 3.2%, after skyrocketing more than 20% on Wednesday to reach a new all-time high.
- Europe opens higher: The UK100 opened 31 points higher, the GER30 was up 68 points and the FRA40 opened 28 points higher.
10076.25 -70.11 (-0.69%)
1.3314 0.0018 (0.14%)
30.75 4.21 (15.86%)
Stocks earnings releases on 23/08/2019
2601.HKChina Pacific Insurance
Earnings season continues: To follow upcoming earnings reports, go to eToro’s Earnings Reports Calendar. Please note that maximum leverage for CFD stocks will be limited to X5 one day ahead of earnings report releases. X10 leverage will be available again soon after the report is published.
* Cryptoassets are a highly volatile unregulated investment product. No EU investor protection. Your capital is at risk.
* Please note that due to market volatility, some of the prices may have already been reached and scenarios played out.
* The information above is not investment advice.
Like what you read? Give us one like or share it to your friends