eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptocurrencies, as well as trading CFD assets.
CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 75% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Bitcoin briefly climbs above $10,000
After showing significant losses in the previous session, cryptocurrencies registered moderate gains over the past 24 hours. Bitcoin briefly climbed back above the $10,000 mark, before falling below it again. Most other top 10 cryptos also registered small gains, with 5 of the top 10 registering gains lower than 1%.
9960.16 -342.42 (-3.32%)
Today’s highlights: Global markets show recovery
- Wall Street shows slight recovery: Following its worst day of 2019 on Wednesday, US markets recovered yesterday, as both the DJ30 and SPX500 closed higher. In contrast, the NSDQ100 continued to decline, registering slight losses.
- Asian markets mostly higher: Markets in the East also showed a recovery this morning, as the China50 and HKG50 indices registered gains of more than 1%, while the JPN225 was moderately higher.
- Oil shows recovery: After dropping on Wednesday and yesterday on recession fears, oil prices recovered this morning, gaining more than 1%, as strong retail sales reports eased some of the worries.
- Gold headed for 3rd week of gains: Despite the recovery seen on Wall Street yesterday, which resulted in lower demand for gold, the precious metal is still higher overall for the week, on its way to its 3rd week of gains in a row.
- GE registers largest fall in more than a decade: After serious accusations of fraud from Harry Markopolos, known as the ‘Madoff whistleblower’, General Electric fell more than 11% yesterday – its worst single-day drop in more than 10 years [tweet this].
- It’s summer vacation time: eToro recently revamped the TravelKit CopyPortfolio, which offers exposure to the ever-growing tourism industry, to include a wide variety of travel-related stocks.
- NVIDIA climbs after hours: The chipmaker reported strong earnings yesterday after the bell, resulting in its stock climbing more than 5% in after-hours trading.
- Wal-mart jumps on earnings: The retail giant reported better-than-expected earnings yesterday, causing its stock to leap more than 6%.
- Europe opens higher: The UK100 opened 35 points higher, the GER30 was up 61 points and the FRA40 opened 25 points higher.
GEGeneral Electric Co
7.95 -1.08 (-11.96%)
148.82 -1.25 (-0.83%)
112.71 6.51 (6.13%)
Stocks earnings releases on 19/08/2019
ELEstee Lauder Companies Inc
Earnings season continues: To follow upcoming earnings reports, go to eToro’s Earnings Reports Calendar. Please note that maximum leverage for CFD stocks will be limited to X5 one day ahead of earnings report releases. X10 leverage will be available again soon after the report is published.
* Cryptoassets are a highly volatile unregulated investment product. No EU investor protection. Your capital is at risk.
* Please note that due to market volatility, some of the prices may have already been reached and scenarios played out.
* The information above is not investment advice.
Like what you read? Give us one like or share it to your friends